Tuesday, November 18, 2008

What did you say? I know you didn't just say that to me.

Today is Tuesday, November 18, 2008. Liiiiiiiive from Jiujiang, China, your host, Jeeeeeeeessica.


Day one of midterms went okee-dokee. To say it was a success may be a bit much, but everyone was 'interviewed', papers were turned in, and we watched Mama Mia.
The only naughty thing my students did today was leave class early. Um... no, I didn't say you could leave early. Especially with the inspectors here! !@#$%$@#!!!! What are you thinking?!?! They're going to get an earful next week. The ladies who did stay got a nice bonus on their midterm exam.

Jennifer and I went lunching at McD. Their curry nuggets are just too hard to resist. We did a good thing though, and walked back to campus. I bought some Christmas card making supplies, so look for those in your mailbox in December. Addresses are welcome and needed.

This evening I judged a speech contest. Now this was an interesting experience. First of all, I was told I would have to ask no questions which was good because I couldn't understand but three or four words out of the students mouths who were giving speeches.
Then... after 8 students had finished their presentations, all of a sudden one of the commentators comes up to me and tells me I have to ask questions! WHAT?! Ok, so let's get down why this is not fair. First of all, there were 6 other judges besides me, the teachers of these students. They had alllllll gotten copies of the students speeches a few weeks ahead of the competition so that they could come up with questions to ask. Jessica got NO COPIES.
Reason number two, the students read from their power points which were also about as understandable as their speeches. I'm supposed to come up with questions from that? Are you joking?
And finally, the students speeches were three minutes long or less. Three minutes or less of incomprehensable speech does not give me much to work with, if anything at all.

I managed to ask one question to a student I could understand, and the second question I asked was CORRECTING the question of a teacher. And the student still couldn't answer it.

The head honcho came up to me after the contest and told me I should be prepared for tomorrow. Excuse me? I know you did not just tell me to be prepared. How about you be prepared by having a copy of the speeches for me? Hmmm? Tomorrow I may tell him where to stick it. Then walk out.

I was considering staying here another year, but I must admit that this certainly makes me question that. Nathan's school is looking more and more tempting after all. Plus the added bonus of us being able to live together again. We'll see how tomorrow night goes.

3 comments:

Nathan said...

Yeah, get in their face about not prepping you about that. I judged a speech contest here in September. I heard most of the speeches beforehand, and knew I had to prepare questions. It's unacceptable if they didn't let you know and didn't give you a preview of the speeches.

How did you customize your blog the way you did?

Anonymous said...

You and Nate are sounding like true teachers. How do you get to be a judge of these speeches anyway? Is it part of your teaching requirements? I am sitting here smiling at all this.
I love home made cards and am looking forward to one from you. You have a lot of artistic talent. Do you need my address?
Love to you my pumpkin,
Nana Banana

Anonymous said...

My lovely Jess,

I looooooove your stories about teaching and whatnot... it's so different from mine, but still a lot of its the same. Why must students leave early? Gahhhhh... it's almost over for me at least. One more lecture and then I can test the hell out of them! Can't wait to get a card from you. I know it will be glam.

Love love!

Lindseeeeeeeeee