Thursday, November 27, 2008

And everyone ate pie... except Jessica

Why is there no pie in China?!?!

I got lots of nice 'Happy Thanksgiving' text messages from my students today. It's nice to know they care.

I'm posting pictures of my secretary's hand turkeys, and some pictures of my BE3 class working on their hand turkeys. This has ended up being a really fun project, and you should hear their gasps of surprise as I hand out the colored pencils. Pretty funny.


My kids have been giving me copies of the school photos we took also. I love it! Please take note of how I am one of the few who is smiling. To the right of me is Max, he's my co-teacher and helps me out with stuff, and to my left is Hanz, head of the English department. This is my BE3 class in it's entirety. I have them split into two different classes though, so it's not quite so overwhelming as it appears.


Remember how I said that Jennifer, Cary, and I were going down to David's pizza place to take pictures for his brochure? Well Jennifer and I went in there the other day and were asked if it was us who was on this brochure by a customer, and it was! We got copies:
Why he chose this awful picture of all of us, I have no idea. I look like an alien or something. Freaky.

We're still not really sure what the dates are that we'll be getting out of school/starting the new semester. I hope we find out soon, I'm on the verge of burnout.

My laptop is pretty dead. I've installed all the stuff I can, but it shuts itself off after a maximum of 5 minutes being on. It's not the blue screen of death anymore, just... death. I can't get the battery to charge, and since that's a new (for the most part) battery, it's got to be the laptop itself which is at issue and not the battery.
I have decided I'm going to buy myself a new laptop next year, after mom has visited and we've gone on our trip. I'm leaning towards the Lenovo Ideapad S10. It comes with a built in camera, is light (only 3lbs), easy to carry, and comes in pink. I'm also going to get an external harddrive since all my pictures and powerpoints are on the computer the school has provided for me. Factoring in how long it will take me to save, I'll be looking to get the notebook around March. I am still keeping in mind that I would prefer a mac, but at this point, it's unnecessary, and a smaller laptop would do just fine and also be much cheaper.

I'm sick, which is unpleasant. Nathan, Jennifer, and Cary have all managed to give me whatever they have. My throat has been sore for the past couple days, and lecturing hasn't been helping. Hopefully it will be better by next week, because we're doing pronunciation which means I'll need to be able to talk for the full two hours. I also have that snot that doesn't come out your nose but gets stuck in the back of your throat. I know you wanted to know that.

It's pretty terrible to hear about Mumbai. My heart goes out to everyone there and who has been affected. I hope that Grandma and Grandpa will be safe on their trip!

Hopefully I'll finish my Christmas card painting this weekend. Nathan will be here though, so I can't promise that will happen.

Right, I'm going to grade some papers, and if I have time, see if Jennifer wants to go to the S&N Hotel for some buffet dinner.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I'm jealous you get to eat pie and turkey and pie and more pie......

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i'm thankful for the sweet as pumpkin pie neighbor and fellow foreign expert that is jessica. i'm thankful that she takes pictures of her bizarre thanksgiving dinner so that her family can see that she is in fact pie-less. i'm thankful that she points out hot chicks in the hotel lobby for me to peruse and i'm thankful that she has the shopping stamina of a thoroughbred.

Anonymous said...

I am thankful to have such a wonderful daughter, who I can't wait to see. As I am sitting here surrounded by flyers, I know you would love going through each of them looking for the bargains, and preparing to head out with me at 6:00am.
Love you lots, Happy Thanksgiving, Love Mom

chubtor said...

We may not celebrate Thanksgiving Day over here any more than we acknowledge the day that America left the Colonies on July 4, but we do give thanks for having such a lovely granddaughter who thinks about us even when she is bogged down with making hand turkeys and marking papers.

According to Grandma if it is pumpkin pie that you are missing it is not a great loss, she is not its biggest fan. Now Christmas Pudding, yummee, that is a different kind of pie altogether, especially with custard and/or clotted cream.... very fattening.

I talked to Mum today and she is getting so excited about seeing you and I have just checked that on the day she flies out we will be just off the San Francisco coast so she may fly over us! We'll keep looking up that day...

At this stage we are not concerned about the troubles in Mumbai, Bangkok or the pirates off Somalia, but we might just mutiny the crew to sail around CapeTown instead.

Have a great weekend with Nate and thanks for keeping up the blog.

Lots of love
Grandma and Grandpa