Sunday, September 21, 2008

Weekend in Nanchang

Hello! I am home safe and sound after my trip to see Nathan in Nanchang.
I took my first train trip by myself and Nathan picked me up from the train station. The next day we ate Sichuan food with one of Nathan's fellow teachers then we went into town to have a look around. It was boiling hot there, so I bought a skirt to wear instead of my jeans. We walked around for awhile but it was truly too hot to enjoy it, so we headed back to the campus to get ready for the evening.
Nikoli, Nathan, Simon, and I went downtown for some dinner. It was pretty good but the service was terrible, most likely because they were understaffed and incredibly busy. Post dinner we walked around and tried to decide which club to spend our evening in. We ended up in Babyface where we danced, sang, drank, socialized, and spoke Chinese. A good time was had by all. Nathan and I ended up crashing on Nikoli's couches because Nathan's electricity was out and it was too unbearably hot to sleep in his apartment.
This morning I was still feeling awful from the Chinese food we had eaten the day before and the boys were incredibly hungover. We had brunch at a baozi and noodle place before heading back to Nathan's apartment so I could pack up. We bused into town then I took a train back to Jiujiang.

Next week we have a holiday (seven days off!) so I've decided to go to Huangshan. Nathan is going with a friend of his, Liz, to Shennongjia, but they are leaving on Friday so I can not go (I have to work on Saturday and Sunday). Huangshan is a few hours away by bus or train in Anhui province. It's a world heritage site and there are monkeys as well as hot springs.
You can find the official website here.
I'm going to stay in a hostel that's next to the train station and bus into the park which should only cost about 13rmb. I plan on spending at least one whole day, most likely Monday, hiking up one of the many paths. I would really like to see sunrise there, so I'm going to have to rent a private bus one day, since the regular bus doesn't leave quite that early.
I'm staying in this hostel for Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday night. It's pretty cheap and I get a private room. Since it's the busy season, I'm betting there are going to be a ton of foreigners there, so it will be pretty neat to meet up with some other westerners, plus, this is a great opportunity to practice my Chinese.
I know some of you are going into blind panic right now about me traveling by myself. You all know, of course, that I'm an adult and can take care of myself. If I have any issues with language I have more than one friend who speaks English and Chinese. This is too great of an opportunity to pass up. I promise I'll be safe and take every precaution necessary.
I'm so excited!

P.S. Check out the wikitravel for Huangshan here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is such a great opportunity! I think traveling alone makes you stronger and more independent... and in china, yes that would scare me, but I think its definitely something you're capable of. Too bad Nathan can't go, though! I'm sure you'll have an awesome time!

Lindsey

Sam Woollard said...

OK so you're an adult now but BE CAREFUL and don't talk to strangers..... well that's what we used to tell you when you were little. Go enjoy yourself and tell us all about it on this wonderful blog of yours.
Love
Grandpa
ps mum says that the dresses have arrived in Austin and she will mail them to you.
xxxx

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you'll really enjoy Huangshan! I loved it when I went last year.
I think china is a pretty safe place to travel alone, and i'm sure u have the language skills (and phrase book) necessary to get around! hihihi :-) maybe u can meet some really cool ppl u wouldn't other wise meet if u were with a group of friends already! :) anyway, have fun and be safe!
-Melissa W