Thursday, September 18, 2008

Penelope

Today was relatively uneventful, once again. I know I taught two classes today, but this morning is a blur, so it's a good thing I collected their papers so I know it even happened.

My 2:30pm class was pretty great though. I had already had them earlier this week, but due to the new schedule, I had them again. Since I didn't want them to get ahead of the rest of the classes, I decided we were going to watch a movie instead. I picked Penelope, and they loved it! They wouldn't even let me pause it so they could go on their ten minute break.
I had them write up a short paragraph about 'Who was your favorite character? Why?', and I figured I would post a few of their answers up here.
So, here goes:

'My favorite character is the main actor of the movie. I don't know how to spell his name maybe it's 'Jonhny' or 'Johnny'? I'm sorry. But I really like him very much. Because he is so handsome and so man! My feeling of him is very special. He is a gentleman, though he has no money. I like him also because he makes the actress Penny feel like so happy. They're really happiness. He's a good man.'

'I think Pene is my favorite person in the movie. In my opinion, she can face her reality. She knows want her want and what to do. At least, she is smart and brave. When she have a trouble, she can't give up. At that time, she is work hard to explore true love. At last, she defeat her psychology obstacle acquire freedom. In that situation, she stick to study and enrich her knowledge. The spirit is worth us to study.'

'From the movie, I like Penny's character best. Although she had a pig's face, she never gave up the hope of living. Her childhood was still happy, she had lots of toys. And what's more, she changed Jony's life. Jony didn't go to gamble. And he found a job what he liked to do. Finally, Penny wasn't a pig's face, she and Jony lived a happy and enjoyable life.'

'I like Johny. Before he is a blackship and he gambled all the day. Quickly, he lost his family's pocesses. He is handsome and honest. When he saw Penne, everything changed. Many people saw Penne were all run away, except him. He destroyed the photo. Maybe he fell in love with her, he begged the other two people give it up. As a matter of fact, he wanted to help her, but he didn't meet her situation. He felt sad. Then he changed a lot for her. They love each other. At last, they live together!'

In short, go see Penelope, it's the bees knees.


Only one other thing of any somewhat importance happened today... air raid sirens went off for about five minutes. Now, anyone who has lived on the UNT campus would be used to this, but the light in the elevator was also out adding to the confusion of the moment. Frightening! However, one dark elevator ride complete with air raid sirens to the eleventh floor later, I am home and ready for some dinner.
Is it the six-month anniversary of the earthquake?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like the blackship reference. You are going to have to keep some of these and turn them into a book. Sounds as though you are connecting with the class which is a great thing and they seemed to learn something from the movie. Now I have to see it!!

Love you lots, Mom

Anonymous said...

Cute students! I'll have to check out that movie.

Not quite 6 months from the earthquake, i'm thinking 4.

Later homie,
Lindsey

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I want to see an actress with the face of a pig and an actor who is a blackship. So solly. Maybe you could keep the essays for comparison with some at the end of the course. I'll bet the kids will improve a lot. Such a good teacher!
Miss you lots and love you more, Nana

Unknown said...

"A major earthquake measuring 7.8 on the Richter Scale, the most severe earthquake in over 25 years, struck a wide area in China at 14:28 Beijing time on Monday, 12 May."

i have NO idea what our sirens were doing yesterday. it was right after your afternoon class, yah? (4:10 pm-ish, september 18th) wardrobe malfunction???

Anonymous said...

Hi Honey
Hope you are having a good weekend. Thought you'd want to know that I drove your car for the first time today and everything is working well. I actually drove it to the gym. I'm surprised that I remembered how to get there since it has been so long since I've been! Tonight is the Rice vs Texas game and the weather should be perfect. BTW, there was a frost in Massachusetts!

Love, Mom