Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Nippy day

Today was a little bit chilly so I talked Jennifer into going downtown with me in order to find a coat.

Well... we didn't find a coat, but I did find some great sweaters that I can wear instead. Every single cute coat we found had only 3/4 length sleeves. What the heck? This makes no sense to me at all. We practiced our limited Chinese with the shop keepers and our fellow customers and had a pretty good time with it all. I found my new favorite shop, it was filled with Coach, Gucci, and Louis Vuitton purses!!!! I bought myself a nice little Gucci one. I'm thinking I'll get myself an LV for my birthday present. Lovely. The shop keeper knew her brands and was quite a character. I hope my Chinese becomes good enough I can make friends with her. She kept saying 'pengyou' (friend) to Jennifer and I. We couldn't figure out if her friend owned the shop, or maybe she wanted to be friends... or perhaps she though Jennifer and I were girlfriends? Eh. Who knows.
We ended our shopping trip at David's pizza place where we got to chat with him before he had to run off to celebrate old people's day with his grandparents. He said he may drive me to Nanchang this weekend, which would be great. He's fun to talk to, and maybe I can practice my Chinese with him. He lets me sing S-Club 7 in his car, so you know it'll be a good drive.
Jennifer and I managed to really piss off a cab driver on our way home. He didn't want to drive us to the school because it was on the other side of town, but we pretty much just sat there pretending we didn't know what he was saying until he drove us home. He was pretty polite when he dropped us off though.

Oh! I may have found a Chinese tutor. He's a fellow teacher here at the school, and he lives in the hotel! His name is Aaron. Super nice guy. I always run into him at the elevator after we get out of classes. Fingers crossed he'll help me out.

I'm looking forward to the week being over. I think this is due to us having a nice hefty break next week more than anything. Also because I'm utterly exhausted from last week.

I finally located the orphanage in Jiujiang. Rather, I found the address for it. Hamlin is going to find out its exact location and let me know. Hopefully we can set up some volunteer stuff with that. Cary said he would come too. Can't wait! I have so much time open in the mornings on Monday and the afternoons on Tuesday and Wednesday, it would be nice to spend it doing some good. We'll see.

Right. I have some school stuff to revise, then early bed for me tonight. Tomorrow is Wednesday, which means only two more days until the weekend (after class that is). Hooray!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds as though it will be good to have a couple of restful days after your adventures. Hope the tutor and the volunteering works out. I know those were a couple of your goals before you left. Let's set up a Skype time soon. I miss you.
Love, mom

Nathan said...

Purses!?! Oh dear...

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna need one of those bags! Should I pick out what I want online and send you a pic with some cash? Going to look right now......

Aunt Karen