Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Nanjing

Jennifer and I hopped on a bus around 5pm heading to Nanjing last Friday. The bus was one of those nice charter-style ones, and only had about 6 people other than us on it. We stopped for dinner in the evening at one of those rest stop/convenience shops. The driver came to talk to us, and we communicated in our garbled Chinglish.
The rest of the trip we napped and didn't do much. We arrived in Nanjing around midnight, then took a cab to Beijing Lu and Shanghai Lu where Chris met us. We headed to a bar and waited for Nikolai and Nathan to meet us there. The boys arrived a bit later, and we hung out at the bar for awhile with Chris, Jennifer, Ann, Leif, Brock, and James. It was good times.
Jennifer and I hadn't had any luck finding a hotel once we had gotten to Nanjing, so Jennifer decided to stay at Lief's apartment, and I went back to Nathan and Nik's hotel to stay with them.

The next day we got up around noon. We walked around Fuzimiao then spent the next few hours looking for a sandwich shop, which we never found.

We ended up at Salsa, a mexican food restaurant, which didn't have very good food. We did meet a really nice man there, a principal of a Canadian school in Nanjing, who told us some fun bars to visit. I had a bad headache, so we went back to the hotel to get some meds before we headed out.
Our first stop was in the Sheraton hotel, Danny's Pub. We met another Canadian there who was working as their foreign expert. Nice guy. We had a couple drinks there, and I got to try my first chocolate martini. Tasty.

We headed on to Blue Sky (I think that's the name) because there was supposed to be a big party there, and we were going to meet everyone there. It turned out to be a bit more subdued than we thought, but Chris and Lief were there, so we joined them in a couple games of fusball before heading to Castle Bar, where the rest of our group was. It was a good evening.


I woke up feeling a bit sick so I said bye to the boys, who had to head to the train station and went to Jennifers hotel room. We napped for a couple more hours, then got up to meet Chris at the Skyways sandwich place. We stopped at the international grocery store first where I picked up a microwave Taco Bell meal and some chocolate pudding cups (yum!).

Then we headed on to the sandwich place. It was sooo good to have a sandwich, despite feeling ill. After eating, Chris took us to the bus station and helped us buy our tickets.
The next bus wasn't for a couple hours so we hung out in the bus station. We had some pretty rude picture takers while we were there, and Jennifer very nearly decked a boy.
The bus ride home was uneventful. We watched a really good movie which we don't know the name of since it was in Chinese. Shame.
We arrived home around 10pm, exhausted from a good trip.



Today I spent my birthday money. Here's what I bought:







5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you did some good shopping. I like the look of the boots, very stylish. Glad to hear the trip went well. It seems as though you are making some good friends. Hope you are feeling better.
Love you lots, Mom

Sam Woollard said...

Like Mum said the boots are very stylish and very Jess, I have to say that I laughed out loud when I scrolled down to them. Enjoy your birthday and thanks for keeping up your blog - we look forward to every episode.
Love
Grandma and Grandpa
xxxx

Unknown said...

3 PAIRS OF BOOTS, happy birthday to YOU!

Anonymous said...

yay for birthday shopping! I miss you, we need to skype soon! So much is happening (i.e. I talked to jared today... I know... weird!) Hope you're feeling better and that I can talk to you soon.

Love love love

Lindseeeeeeee

Anonymous said...

Glad that it sounds like you're still having a good time! Sorry I've not been able to keep up with your blog as well lately, I've been very busy and spent last week in Austria (not Australia!). It was superawesome! Take care and keep us all updated- I'll post pictures soon, too!

-my