Thursday, February 19, 2009

I tried to teach a student how to say 'ship', but after a few tries it still sounded like 'shit'

School: more of the same. One of my male students didn't seem to speak any English whatsoever, so we had an interesting conversation filled with him talking to me in Chinese and me telling him to speak English... in both Chinese and English. He eventually managed to get out a few words like basketball (I swear, every person in China loves the NBA) and apple.
I asked Hamlin how many classes he had per week today. Can you guess? FOUR! Four classes per week.
Sweet...

Chinese triumph of the day: ordering dinner at my favorite dive, a restaurant Nathan and I fondly refer to as 'The Baby Dumpling Restaurant'. I ordered vegetarian noodles and jiaozi, an entire meal for 5 yuan.

Personal triumph of the day: Filing my tax return. I qualified for the stimulus that I didn't qualify for last year. An extra $300 coming my way! Wahoo. As for my MA return, well they can suck it, because they ended up taking back a majority of what they should have returned to me. I will never, ever live in that state again. Ever.

I'm off to eat my 5 yuan meal.

2 comments:

samw7 said...

Glad to hear the dumpling restaurant trip was a success. Just keep practicing and you'll be fluent in no time. Glad that your students sound interesting. Tonight is Robin Williams, yeah!
Love, Mom

Nathan said...

Congrats on your triumphs. I'm proud of your Chinese skills! Great way to save money, eating like that. Haha, I've spent about 8 kuai on all my meals today. And I was getting extra eggs with my meals.

I love you!