Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Holy Neon Pink Kittens, Batman

My new phone rocks. If you don't believe me, just take a look at this awesomeness:





I mean, come on, it even matches my nails.

True, I have no clue how to use it, and the instruction manual is in Chinese, but I do know that somewhere on it are these appealing features; mp3 and mp4 player, camera, video, touch screen with writing capabilities, internet, etc.


Classes were fine today. My 10am-ers are a rowdy bunch, I will have to be extra creative in how I keep them entertained.

The exciting news of the day: One of my photos has been selected to be considered for the 'Schmap' of San Francisco! What is a Schmap, you ask? Well, you can take a gander at their website here. Essentially it's the 'all you need to know' site to go to when traveling. They have maps, pictures, information, etc. Pretty cool, huh?
The photo they selected is the following:
From the Japanese tea garden in San Francisco. Keep your fingers crossed they select it!

I've also come up with an idea of what I would like to do for the next couple years. I'm thinking that I'll teach, somewhere, quite possibly still Jiujiang, for one more year after this. Save up as much money as possible. Then I want to go to school in Beijing or Shanghai for Chinese and maybe my MBA. Sounds like a pretty good plan, right? I think so. I figure while I'm in school again I can make money teaching private lessons, but in order to be any good at those, I need at least one more year of teaching practice.
I'm looking into schools and programs at the moment. Figuring out costs and all that business. I'll keep you posted on my plans.

Chinese triumph of the day: I called the water delivery people and had a 90% successful conversation with them, sure it only lasted about 2 minutes, but it's progress! I'm studying the textbooks I brought with me, I'm going to attempt to do about two chapters a week. Sophie is helping me by correcting my Chinese while I correct her English. It's actually going quite well. I told her to ask around her friends if any of them have enough free time to give me some lessons. Perhaps after a few weeks I'll be able to start typing a few entries in Chinese.

Luuuuuunch.

8 comments:

Nathan said...

Congrats on the picture.

Your phone matches your personality pretty spot on, pinky.

Lindseeeee said...

your phone is perfect for you! it sounds like it will be pretty awesome once you figure it all out.

Pat said...

Hi
Love your mobile and glad you are happier about your teaching schedule.
Your plans for the future sound great and I hope it's not too much hard work to sort it out.
Love Pat

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world of Sr. citizen confusion over modern contraptions. As far as I am concerned, all instructions are in Chinese when it comes to electronics. Glad you have the phone you wanted so badly.
Good for you for continuing your education. Good plan.
I found out that your Christmas package is in some building somewhere in China because it was either not delivered right or not picked up on time???? Sorry. You probably can pick up about anything you want in China for a lot cheaper anyway.
Keep safe. I love you much, Nanabanana

Anonymous said...

Hi Honey
You must have some photographic talent as this is the second time one of your pictures has been chosen/considered. Something else to put on the resume. I agree with Nate that your phone is a good match for you. The future plans sound good and congratulations on the success with the water people. Keep it up and you'll be fluent and very marketable in whatever you choose to do.
Love you, Mom

Jenny said...

omg squeeeee!
i love love love your new phone :)
hello kitty is waaay better than barbie, so good choice!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so jealous of that cute hello kitty phone! I'm sure you'll figure it out soon, who needs instructions anyway? Love you loads!
Jenna

Pat said...

Hi
Just thought you might like to know that your Christmas parcel arrived this morning and thank you very much. The nodding dragon is great and my mum loved her scarf and that's a great compliment as she is so fussy.
Love Pat