Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Merry Christmas to All and to All a Good Night

This will be a short update because I have laundry to do, things to pack, and presents to wrap.

This evening Jennifer, Cary, and I joined the head honchos for a feast of epic portions. It was good. Many a ganbei occurred. Chinese was spoken. All in all, a successful banquet.
After a few too many ganbei the laowei laoshi (foreign teachers) headed to a school performance. We saw singing, dancing, and comedy acts from the English department kiddos. It was too cold in the auditorium, so we headed out after a few acts. Now I am home.

Why is my Chinese so much better with alcohol? Bah...

Tomorrow I head to Nanchang for Christmas. I shall attempt to get on skype for Christmas day in order to talk to the fam and wish them a happy to-do. I return on Sunday while Nathan and his parents head to Beijing. Then I shall be off to Nanjing with Jennifer sometime soon after my return. It's going to be a busy next few days.

I really have to admit, it doesn't feel anything like Christmas here. Perhaps the lack of family is the reason. Or maybe I have no Christmas spirit this year. I don't know. Christmas in China... weird.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jess
Not sure if how the Cathy cartoon was uploaded, but it looks good. Look forward to talking to you soon.
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

EVERYONE'S Chinese is better with alcohol. It's weird.
...Much as I imagine Christmas in China would be. I hope that you can find your holiday spirit, or whatever....Happy Hanukkah! And Merry Christmas. And Joyous Non-Denominational Winter Holiday Bugaloo.

chubtor said...

Merry Christmas to you too Jess, we will miss you and hope that there is a small chance that we can talk via Nathan's Skype over the holiday.

We are expecting Sheila and Graham over on Christmas Eve and possibly Sharon too. Georgia is with her dad on Christmas Day but will be with us and the rest of the gang on Boxing Day.

Grandma put out some of the Christmas candies and nuts today so we are skipping our evening meal in favour of M&M's (as you say very addictive), Pringles, Wotsits, peanuts, chocolate brazils, sugared almonds, liquorice allsorts and many other tasty non-nutritious, bad for you fare. Washed down with several cups of tea. My only problem is that I have an infected sinus that is making my face ache. Thank Gos that the 200 Extra Strength Tylenol from mum arrived today.

Roll on the mincepies and clotted cream and of course the Christmas Pudding with hot custard. I'm sure that my face will be better by then - if necessary I will see a dentist as soon as possible after Christmas.

Godbless you and Nathan, have a great Christmas together and keep in touch.
Grandma and Grandpa
xxxx

Anonymous said...

My dearest Jess,

Merry Christmas! Tell your mom I didn't get to make that trip to Austin yet. When is she leaving? I want to make sure I get there before then. I miss you! I wish I could give you your gift in person! Mika says his hellos, hopefully we can skype again soon! I'll be looking for you!

Lindseeeee

Anonymous said...

test-everyone got home at 3am 12/25, tired but overall alright. Trying to learn how to do this blog thing...talk to you soon :)
renee