Saturday, August 30, 2008

Mai dongshi.

Today Jennifer and I went back down to walking street to get some dvds and pick up necessities. After dvd shopping (I picked up Ugly Betty, Xena, Kung Fu Panda, and a few others) it began to rain so we ducked into another shop where Jennifer used to buy her candles. They were out of candles but I managed to buy myself a Hello Kitty keyboard (very much needed since the one I had was disgusting) and a cool painting of a black and white tree I plan to put up in my room.
We also went to New York pizza again for lunch. I had the BBQ chicken pizza which was delicious and I got a large vegetable pizza to go so I could munch on it later.
The rain storm was pretty good. Lots of lightening. Chinese people hate rain. I guess this is understandable since I'm pretty sure it must be acid rain. I hope my face doesn't melt off later.

When we got back to the apartments we dropped off our stuff then went to the little store on campus. I needed another bucket for my underoos and some water.
I tried out my dvds when I got back to the house, but alas, my dvd player doesn't work. This is typical. Tomorrow I will get a new one from the school.

I keep waking up at the ungodly hour of 7am. This is not natural.

Nathan should be here next weekend. I doubt we'll get to see each other, as it's a pain in the wutang to get to his school from here. We'll probably have to wait until the following weekend.

They're doing a special here on CCTv on the special olympics. This is good. China rarely embraces the mentally and physically handicapped, instead throwing them into the streets to live as beggars or into the orphanages. I hope this raises awareness.

I noticed a lot of wedding dresses while walking around downtown. I guess western weddings really are getting more popular. This has potential business written all over it. I need to keep practicing my Chinese before that happens. I asked about getting a tutor, but Jennifer says they are awful at teaching their own language. I guess I'll just keep doing what I've been doing, going out amongst the people.

Oh! I got money out of the atm today. I'm an idiot and was pressing the wrong button, it seems. At any rate, I figured it out.

After talking to Jennifer about class sizes, it seems Hamlin got his seventeen mixed up and meant to say seventy. This happens often, as I found out shopping with him.
I've already mapped out our first day of class which will involve everyone introducing themselves. Classes are two hours and I'm thinking this will probably take up the entire class period. Sweet.

I'm getting sleepy. A slice of pizza, then bed.

P.S. I ate Blueberry flavored Lays the other day. Ew.
See more pictures here!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blueberry flavored Lays. I can't imagine who would think that was a good idea. Maybe when school starts, you can see if there is a fellow professor who would like to learn english and who could teach you Chinese. Seventy is alot of students. I guess it's alot of group work. Glad to hear that the ATM works. jeff and I are going to the forst UT game of the season and will see Vince Young's number retired, so it should be a fun day. Love you lots. Mom

Sam Woollard said...

I can't believe they produced blueberry flavoured Lays! I once tried the baked ones by mistake and it took a whole day to get through the large bag.....

And a pink keyboard, yuk! Such a girlie thing, give me a man black one anyday.

70 students per class and none of them speak English? As mum says it sounds like a lot of group work to me - divide and conquer.

Have you had another go at your laptop yet? If you tell me the blue screen message I might be able to figure it out for you, I help a number of people via the pcadvisor.co.uk support website.

Does China have any healthy food? Pizza and chicken sounds a bit boring to me.

Hope that you get to see Nate soon and that you continue to have fun. Don't forget Hong Kong, if you are able to meet us it would be great but we understand that it is not always easy to take time off from work.

Have lots of fun and lots of love from us.

Nathan said...

Oooh, "natural and cool" blueberry chips. Nice. I like your keyboard.