Friday, August 29, 2008

I'm sleepy.

Sigh. Jiujiang is really small. I've pretty much seen everything there is to see now.

Today Jennifer and I went shopping. I have a hairdryer now and some razors. More things to cross off the list. It was good to see the stores. I even found spaghetti and sauce! Hen haochi. (Very delicious)

We also had lunch at New York Pizza. I had chicken curry spaghetti but now I wish I had tried the pizza. In any case, the curry was good.

Hamlin sent me a couple text messages while we were out. He's incredibly worried about my safety and I keep finding myself having to fight the urge to tell him that he needs to let it go. Jiujiang is definitely one of the last places I would worry about my safety, especially when I'm with Jennifer the entire time.

I made spaghetti for dinner. First I had to boil the water in the kettle then I put it in the wok on the hot plate where I let it boil then put in the spaghetti. I refuse to get sick from the water.

I was feeling a little under the weather earlier, but now I think it was from all the pijiu we had last night when we ganbei-ed.

I've found a few favorite shows over here. One is a Korean soap opera translated into Chinese. It's really dramatic but I can understand some of it, so it's not too bad to watch.
Right now there is some musical/play show going on. There's a British man on it who is a total tool. I have to say, I don't think much of many of the expats I've seen in China. Which isn't nice, but eh, it's the truth.
I've decided to become a Chinese soap opera star.

The newest teacher arrives next week. A Canadian by the name of Cary. He's closer to Jennifer's age according to Hamlin (she's 36... which I have a hard time believing). Should be interesting. He's going to be my neighbor, so I hope he's not loud.

For those of you who want my address:
1005 No. 96 Qingnian Rd
Jiujiang 332000 P.R. China

Please send:
cereal, granola bars, mac and cheese, velveeta, disposable razors

Oh my gawrsh... China has their own version of Justin Timberlake. The songs even sound similar. Bizarre


I've run into what could be a big problem at some point. My bank of america card doesn't work at the local China Construction Bank. Jennifer thinks it's because it's a local branch and it will probably work in town. I don't want to have to hunt down another China Construction Bank. Blah. Ideas? My guess is that I'll have to get Hamlin to help me out with this. I'll probably be just fine with the money I have left if I change the rest of my American dollars into RMB. However, it would be much more convenient to be able to go to the bank which is right down the street.
Hrmm... Bank of China is right there too. I'll probably be able to use that, just have to pay some fees. Might be worth checking out. Then I can yell at Bank of America later and get them to replace the fees. I'll keep you posted.

I'm pretty exhausted. Bed for me.

2 comments:

Sam Woollard said...

It sounds as if you have settled into your new life very quickly and I think that you are going to have a fantastic time out there. Take Hamlin's advice though and be a bit wary about your safety, where you go and with whom etc. I guess we will all be a bit happier when Nate is over to keep your wilder urges in check. Have fun and let us know when you get Skype up and running.
Lots of love.
xxxx

Anonymous said...

A Chinese soap star huh! Sounds like an interesting choice. You can be the Babe in Jiujiang. At least it sounds as though there are some places to eat and shopping to do. Amazing that a town of 500,000 can feel small. Hopefully soon you can start to explore some of the surrounding area. I agree with Grandpa about Skype. Let us know when it is working. Love you lots, Mom